Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday, Jan. 8th . . . the "360" workout

I finished what I call the "360" workout because it's a combined easy, tempo and fartlek session.
I started with a 2 mile warm-up at 9:35 pace, then moved into 4x400 progressive intervals at 7:26, 7:11, 6:49 and 6:40 paces with 2:00 minute recovery (the 2:00 minute recovery allows for full body recovery), then I moved into a 10 min. tempo run at 6:47 pace, then back into 4x400 at 6:40, 6:31, 6:29, and 6:22 paces with 2:00 minute recovery, then I ended with a 5 minute warm-down.

The key to this entire workout is that it should be a progressive run, that is, you are getting progressively faster with easy session. This is very similar to my 5k race preparation, just shortened. This was the first hard run I've tried since the initial pain in my right foot and it felt pretty good and I had very slight pain at the end, which is expected given this type of workout.

I have a long run tomorrow which I will run at a very slow pace, and I will back off additional pace work for about 5 days. The key is to slowly add back the pace work. I'm going to wait about 1 month before I start racing again which works great because Dec./Jan. are recovery months for me where I try to maintain a good base and sprinkle in pace work.

HHH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List