Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday, Jan. 22nd . . . why I really run . . .

A nice 5 mile trail recovery run at 7:46 pace. After my barefoot warm-up, I ran in the Nike Free 3.0's. My legs were a little fatiguted after yesterday's hilly run.

Today was another reminder as to why I run. I don't primarily run to train or race although I really enjoy racing. I run primarily for the way it makes me feel and how it allows me to get through the really tough times. My grandmother passed away last night and she's was quite sick for the last few days which has been very difficult. A lot of crying and being unable to sleep. My safe haven is running and I thought about her while running today. While running I thought about all the memories I had growing up with my grandmother. She was the strongest women I've met and the reason I can run today is because of the strength that she passed along to me.

I have a 10 mile hill run planned for tomorrow which I'll run nice and easy.

HHH

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Stay strong. My mother passed away a few months ago...just a few days after a Canadian ultra race DNF. Worst week of my life. It's tough, but running can ease the pain and gives you time to remember all the good stuff.

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris. It's a tough time as I know you understand having gone through it with your mom. It puts everything in perspective.

    Running is truly a gift and we are blessed to be able to do it.

    HHH

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List