Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Ultra Minimalist vs. Minimalist

I've had some discussions with my minimalist friends and we've been discussing the new trend of shoe companies basically taking their racing shoes and "zero dropping" them and calling them minimalist shoes ("zero drop" is reducing the heel such that the shoe is completely flat and there's deviation from forefoot to mid-foot to heel).

While I think such shoes are a move in the right direction, they are a far cry from true minimalist footwear developed by companies like Terra Plana, Feelmax, Altra, and Vibram (and a few others).

Perhaps we should distinguish between the two groups and for those, like myself, that run in shoes with no heel differential, no arch support, no motion control, and less cushion than any traditional running shoe, perhaps we are "ultra minimalists" and compared to those that run in more traditional racing shoes that are designed with only a few of these elements. There's a big difference, for example, between running in Evo's, KSO's, Osma's or Adam's and Inov-8 F-Lite 195's, Instinct's, New Balance minimus, etc. I personally believe the latter is a far cry from the type of footwear that truly allows the foot to function naturally.

HHH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List