Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thursday, Dec. 9th, the short easy run

This was an all hills easy recovery run. I'm trying to incorporate hills into the majority of my runs and, in fact, I'm starting to search for hills while I run. Hill running really builds the legs muscles, especially the calves which come in hand when racing, especially on the flatter surfaces. I ran for just over 30 minutes, totaling 3.17 miles. My legs feel pretty fresh which should be useful for tomorrow's hard tempo run.

I've read that tempo runs are the most important training for the Kenyans and it makes complete sense. I've also been told that in order to get the most out of the hard runs, you must have discipline to run easy on the easy days and even feel like you held back a bit, and that's how I feel right now. I'm curious to see how my body responds tomorrow. I usually run for 45 minutes to 1 hr. on my easy days so this felt like nothing but my legs feel pretty fresh.

My thought is that it may be better to add 1-2 miles on the end of my hard runs and cut back on my easy run days, so I will maintain the same weekly base but there will be a big delta between my hard and easy days as my easy days will be easier and my hard days will be harder.

Today I ran in the 9 minute pace range, and tomorrow I'll be back in the 6:00 and sub 6:00 minute pace range so I'm curious to see how my body reacts to such a difference in paces day to day.

HHH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List