Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Next Phase of My Life

Currently, studying the physiology and science of running and the mental and spiritual aspects (just finished my 2nd marathon and targeting my first 50k).  It is basically the difference (and battle) between the right and left brain.  I just finished a life changing book in this area called “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougal.  It concentrates on the incredible Tarahumara endurance athletes in Mexico’s Copper Canyon but also touches on Indigenous tribes throughout the world that run long distances in their 80’s/90’s injury free.  It also includes their eating habits which probably explain why they are so incredible. 

I’m adopting the running habits of the Tarahumara and other Indigenous peoples as well as their eating habits.  I’m working my way to becoming a vegetarian and I made my initial dramatic shift this weekend to a semi-vegetarian (or pescetarian).  I will not eat any meat or poultry (other than eggs/dairy) but I will eat limited amounts of fish and/or seafood, however, the bulk of my eating habits will comprise of beans, rice, nuts, grains, vegetables, eggs, dairy, and a lot of pinole and chia which is the life food of the great Aztecs of which the Tarahumara are descendants.

The closer we come to our own personal edges, the more we move away from the physical and unto a mental landscape, one that is fraught with dangers, traps waiting for the unknowing. It is the place where cause and effect start to break down, where time loses its grip – a place where chaos reigns.

I’m leaning about my own personal edges and this is my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List