Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Monday, May 4, 2009

I bow to them

I spent my entire life playing basketball and tennis; went on to play basketball in college.  I played with great players, several of which went on to play in the NBA.  However, I picked up running 3 years ago and I can say, without question, runners, swimmers and bikers are some of the most incredible athletes I've ever met.  The endurance, spirit, focus and determination is unparalleled.  The quality of person I meet is inspiring and daunting.  To speak with a 60+ yr. old man who is running is 65th marathon; to speak with a 62 yr. old woman running 50 marathons in 50 states; to get passed (and beat) by men and women of all ages is humbling but so inspiring.  I'm making a generality here and it doesn't apply to each individual but unlike my prior life in athletics, these folks also have such a broad and inspiring view of themselves, others, and the world.  I learned more about a person's spirit in 3 yrs. of running than I ever learned in basketball or tennis. 


HHH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List