Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday, June 27th . . . pre-race recovery run

55 min. easy post-race recovery run. My body feels amazingly good as I turn my attention to selling all my running shoes (about 1 dozen pair brand new in the box, untouched). I won't run in regular shoes again as there is no need after I've proven I can run race pace in the Luna sandals and I feel better post-race than I've ever felt.

The body is an amazing device and I'm absolutely convinced that shoes play a critical role in the continued high injury rates of runners. Traditional shoes are designed to fight the natural mechanics and functioning of the human body. How else can you explain an elevated heel and tight toe box. With the natural foot, the toes splay at landing which are constricted by a tight toe box. Balance and stability is at the core of running so we do we run in high heels, that is, shoes with elevated heels . . . last I checked my feet, I don't have an elevated heel.

But very few people will listen. We live in a society where we believe whatever we read or hear without doing our own research . . . it's why politicians are so damn effective but shame on us for lacking the desire and discipline to do our own due diligence. We'll continue to believe that running is hard on the body which is a complete lie . . . we were designed to run but we make what is so natural, oh so difficult.

Harry

5 comments:

  1. so no more Vivobarefoot Ultra's for you either??? i was looking forward to hearing about the durability of them from you.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still use the Ultra's on occasion for running and I use them for walking also. I never developed any tears of holes after 100+ miles. I'm still a big fan of Terra Plana but apparently there's a point where you run so many barefoot miles that your feet become even more sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "More sensitive," meaning as I put more on my feet, my balance and perception is negatively impacted which ultimately impacts my gait. My feet are quite sensitive to what they have on them and, when possible, prefer to have nothing on them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking the time to clarify! I think i can relate...since I got into this whole movement doing barefoot first then wearing minimalist for the rainy Seattle area weather (and general casual time with family & friends), I find that the more thickness between my feet and the ground the harder it is to keep my running technique.

    Congratulations on the 2nd place! Totally inspiring!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List