Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Monday, November 8, 2010

The Great One Retires

As I'm sure many of you know, Haile was unable to finish today's NYC marathon. He pulled out around mile 16 because of issues with his right knee.

I just read that, "He later announced he was retiring after an illustrious career which included two Olympic 10,000 metres gold medals and 27 world records."
For me, it's a sad day but we all knew this day was coming for Haile. At 37 yrs. of age, it's difficult to maintain that level of performance against the new crop of youngsters that are tearing it up. But what a career and what a person.

Very few transcend their sport, and Haile was one of the few to do it. I wish him the best and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a key political role in Ethiopia's future.

HHH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List