Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Yes, You Can Run Your Problems Away

I actually feel sorry for the many people out there that don't run, don't attempt to run, start running but quit, and the other myriad of reasons people don't run. I know it's a cavalier statement and many take issue with it. I've heard it all . . . I'm not in shape, I get injured, I don't like it, etc. Well, I don't buy it.

I think it's the classic Right Brain vs. Left Brain which is a major issue in modern society with all the technology available. The Left Brain is all about being logical, rational, and objective while the Left Brain is about being random, intuitive and holistic. We live in a world where you can sit your ass on the couch and never move a muscle . . . order food, use the remote for TV, and then there's the crazy crap like shoes that give you a workout as if you were actually working out . . . that's the best, get a workout without, hmmm, working out. The classic "it's too good to be true" but the Right Brain eats up that crap.

Then, there's old fashion "commitment and drive." You know why folks don't run, it's not for the reasons they say, it's because they are lazy. We are lazy society, yes, I said it. It's really sad. We are gifted with one of the best devices ever created being the human body. The human body is absolutely amazing and, in fact, it was built for pressure and stress and longs for it but we decide to abuse it by doing nothing.

Now, what does this have to do with running your problems away, which is another benefit. We talk about stresses in life and right in front of your face is one of the best stress relievers in the world . . . running. Here's an excerpt from an article I read at lunch which is right on point:

" . . . In the blackest times of my life - like when the woman I hope was The One wrote "I'm sorry" and left with another man - running has always rescued me. Not work. Not friends. Not family. "You can't outrun your problems" my housemate would say with a smirk as I headed out the door. He was wrong. Each afternoon I would run my demons hard until I left them heaving by the roadside. Finding refuge in running . . . "

Now you figure it out.

HHH

3 comments:

  1. Spoken like a True Believer. Welcome to the flock, Brother! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have both run by problems away as well as TV'd or movied my problems away ;-)

    -Steven
    www.InvisibleShoe.com
    DIY huarache kits and custom-made huaraches

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. Kind of like "time shifting."

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List