Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Tough Morning Workout

I did my first combo interval and tempo run today and it was one of my toughest runs yet very satisfying (after I was done). I had to do it on the treadmill b/c there's too much ice to run a fast pace.

Here it is:

* 70 minute total workout. 15 min. warm-up straight into 3 sets of 3 min. @ 5:55 pace and 2 min. @ 8:30 pace. After the 3 sets, straight into 2 miles @6:40 pace, then the remainder of the run between 7:30 - 8:30 pace, until last 5 minutes @ 9:00 pace. During the entire run, if you are on a treadmill, vary the incline from .5% - 2% (if outside, the entire run is on hills). By far, one of my toughest workouts as I haven't combined interval and tempo runs until today.

Of course, you can modify the times and pace, faster or slower, as you see fit.

I'll say this. I have to friggin' idea how the elite runners do what they do. When I was at my 2 miles @ 6:40 pace, I'm thinking of Ryan Hall doing a 18 mile tempo run at @5:00 pace and doing eight 1 mile intervals at 4:20 pace, and the entire marathon sub 5:00 pace . . . just mind boggling when you think about it.

HHH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List