Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Monday, November 19, 2012

Why do you run?

If you really deeply think about this question, it should take a while to formulate a complete and full response.  At the 10,000 ft. level, many of us run for fitness and health, but after that, if you dig deep, it's a bit complicated.  If I ask myself, I have to admit that I like to run "to escape," and running allows me to escape and enter a different world, even if it's only for 45 minutes or 2 hrs.  

Running also helps me shed negative feelings and toss that luggage out the door.  I would describe it as follows:

"There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore, and who always will.  So, don't worry about people from your past . . . there's a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Running gives me this chance to "realize" and put things in perspective.  It allows me to shed the past and leave the negative in the past and only carry over the positive into the future.  In order to realize, one needs to think with an open mind and running provides that forum.  Some of my deepest thoughts happen while running.  This is a stark reminder that we "were born to run," physically, emotionally and spiritually."

So ultimately I guess I run to find out who I truly am.  Each time my foot lands, I'm in the "now," and the next step is to the "future."  There's no running backwards as it's about moving forward.  With each breath, I'm moving forward and isn't that what live is really about?

Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List