Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Whole Foot is the Charm

There's many different terms out there such as "forefoot," "mid-foot," "heel," "ball of foot," "whole foot," and "full foot,' that are used to describe a particular foot strike. While many people work away from heel striking to landing somewhere in the front part of the foot, I've actually been working on the reverse in moving from a forward forefoot strike to a whole foot strike, that is, the entire foot landing at the same time. This change has made a dramatic difference by reducing the load on my Achilles and plantar muscle.

I'm not a proponent of Chi running but here is a link to a diagram from the Chi philosophy which I think is pretty good in making a strong case for the whole foot or full foot landing:

HHH

1 comment:

  1. Harry,
    Thanks for the reference to my blog post and diagram. Great to hear you are finding success in reducing stress on your Achilles and PF.

    Regards,
    David.
    http://www.eChiFitness.com

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List