Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Practice, Practice, Practice

I've been running exclusively in the Evo's, supplemented with about 15% barefoot running each week. It's been going great except today, due to the storm that hit Colorado, I had to run on the treadmill. I ran in the Evo's but my form sucked. After 3 frustrating miles, I took off the Evo's and my stride immediately shortened and I felt great. Of course this won't surprise anyone but real time validation is the best. I don't blame it on the Evo as it was a breakdown in my form.

However, it's only been recently (in my 3rd year of running) that I'm starting to "feel" when things are off. I could feel something wasn't right during the first 3 miles and I could feel a slight pain around my plantar muscle so I stopped and went barefoot. The answer was immediate as I was "over-striding," which is probably the #1 cause of my PF, even in the Universe 3's.

It is the shoes and it isn't the shoes. The shoes allow you to get away with bad form longer but bad form is bad form. I had bad form today. I'm thrilled that I was able to become aware of it so quickly. I ended the run by putting the Evo's back on, and I ran without any issues.

It's back to the age old issue we've discussed. It is possible to run pretty much injury free in shoes but the challenge is replicating the barefoot form/technique in any shoe/footwear. Those who grew up barefoot pretty much hard coded it in their brains. But for us, it's either 100% barefoot or "Practice, Practice, Practice," in any footwear. Any amount of protection around the foot will allow you to get away with a bit more than possible when barefoot.

Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List