Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Key to Running

There are many keys to running but the #1 key is a proper warmup. Not a quick warmup either but a warmup that lasts 15-20 minutes (10 minutes at a minimum). During the warmup, simply run very slowly, in the 10-13 min. per mile range. Ideally, a 2 mile warmup is perfect then start into your routine. This requires the big "D" . . . discipline and requires you to add time and distance to your running regime. However, it is worth it without question.

I just finished a 7.5 mile run; 1.5 mile warmup; 5 miles at sub 7 min. pace; and 1 mile warm down. The warm down is also as important as the warmup. When you properly warm down, your body already starts the healing process including fixing micro-tears in the muscles.

It took me 2 years to respect the warmup and warm down. Don't learn the hard way like me.

HHH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List