Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Top 3 or QUIT?

Here's a recent quote from Deriba Merga when asked about his mental approach and philosophy to running the major marathons:

"I never finish unless I will finish in the top three. If I anticipate ahead of time that I will not be top three, I quit. That is my philosophy."

I wonder what would happen if Ryan Hall took this approach into the Chicago marathon? It also seems to be a philosophy that Sammy W. follows also. When you are that good at that elite level, why not go all out and either place in the top 3 or drop out. For runner's at that level, what's the point of finishing 5th, 9th, or whatever . . . it's gotta' be about winning it. Haile G. has dropped out of several races where it looked like he wouldn't finish in the top 3. Of course, they brush it off as an injury but I don't think that's the truth.

HHH

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List