Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Next Shoe Purchase, 2026-2030

Just hit me this morning during my run.  When will I buy another pair of running shoes?  I basically run 100% in the Puma H-Street and I have 11 new pair in the basement.  Each pair lasts over 1 yr. and in many cases I push toward 18 months per pair.  Then, add the fact that my body has all but fully adjusted to a barefoot-like style after 8 years of running combined with a neutral foot strike, my current pair is coming up on 18 months and could last 2 years . . . with a forefoot strike and landing lightly, I have very little wear & tear on the soles of my shoes (sole or upper).  I'm definitely a major shoe manufacturer's worse nightmare.  The average price per pair of Puma H-Streets was $45.

On the other hand, thank god for having 11 new pair as it's clear the major shoe companies have won the war (the minimalist movement put up a good fight albeit brief) and, as an industry, they are reverting back to overly designed, cushioned and support ridden shoe designs.  That will guarantee one trend . . . a high percentage of injured runners on a yearly basis.  At this point, it's not about the poorly designed shoes . . . it's about the running public that won't contest what is so obvious . . . just a basic level of common sense would lead one to question the design of running shoes when compared to the natural human foot.  Couple that with the fact that the vast majority of runners do not want to make the sacrifice required to correct all the bad habits . . . bad form, weak muscle, weak tendons, misalignment, imbalance, etc.  It's a long process, at least it was for me . . . about 8 years of blood, sweat and tears but oh my god was it worth it . . . I've learned it's one of those things where I just need to be thankful and humbled that I was able to figure it out . . . it doesn't require one to be a rocket scientist but it requires avoiding the easy road and traveling the hard road to find the answer . . . . what is the saying?  need to go through hell to get to heaven :)

Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    My Blog List

    My Blog List